Search This Blog

Thursday, April 4, 2013

I've Been a Busy Boy...BUT for Good Reason!

Hi there!  Sorry for the delay in posting...life has been CRAY-CRAY!!!  As many of you know, I am a student attorney in the Tax Clinic at my school.  In the clinic, students (under supervision of an attorney) actually have real clients whom we help with their tax issues.  Among my clients, one of the cases is scheduled for Tax Court this coming Monday, so I've been spending essentially every waking moment drafting motions and preparing for my oral argument...which I have to do next week before the Chief Judge - exciting, but a little scary!  Nevertheless, I have a little bit of time today, so I'm taking a break from all that to send some love and updates your way :)

But before I move on to other stuff, I will share one exciting piece of law related business that I've been involved with recently.  Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you know that the Supreme Court took up the Prop.8/DOMA cases this past week.  As part of Lambda Law Society's Executive Board, I helped organize a panel to inform students about the arguments.  I was so impressed with the turnout: the room was overflowing and our Dean even stopped by to show his support!  It sure is great to be surrounded by so many people who are on the RIGHT side of history!

Our panel on the hearings had a GREAT turnout!

Dean Grossman adding his words of support.

Also, as part of Lambda's efforts, I helped organize a group of students from our school who joined in the Human Rights Campaign "March 4 Marriage" in support of marriage equality.  We all wore red (the color of LOVE!) and carried our banner.  It was a really great experience, and I must say how pleased I was to see all the supporters of equality - particularly our straight allies!  I mean, even Bill O'Reilly said that supporters of marriage equality have the stronger argument - now that's some progress :)

A panorama of the scene outside the Supreme Court - awesome!

The support for marriage equality will go down in history!

LOVED all the signs!!!

Our group from Lambda Law Society.

Even the pups came out dressed in red to show their support!

HA - SO TRUE :)
With the arguments behind us, all we can do now is wait and see how the Court comes out.  While I'm hopeful for a broad ruling that will really ensure equality nationwide, I am confident that at least some progress will be made...but either way, the issue is on the national stage and the day for true EQUALITY is within sight - and I for one am proud to be part of the fight!!!

Showing MY support for EQUALITY!

No comments: